SARAH J. PASCARELLA RESUME
The Hired Pens, Somerville, MA
Serve as a freelance writer for The Hired Pens clients, working as a copywriter for blogs, bylined articles, case studies, digital marketing copy, editorial calendar planning, email campaigns, social media posts, whitepapers, and website landing pages.
• Clients include startups and established firms in data insights, higher education, real estate, and technology, among other sectors.
• Writing/portfolio samples available upon request.
edmit, Boston, MA
Freelance Writer, Editor, Content Strategist
October 2017-August 2018
Collaborated with cofounders to develop and implement digital content strategy, focusing on audience growth, user engagement, and SEO best practice. Served as lead writer and editor for all blog content and pillar pages. Oversaw editorial calendar planning, including assignments and editing for freelance contributors. Created brand style guide for both in-house guidelines and freelance contributors.
Launch Academy, Boston, MA
Senior Content Marketing Producer
June 2017-September 2017
Developed digital content strategy with Marketing Manager and senior leadership team. Served as lead writer and editor for all blog content, organic and paid social media, and email marketing campaigns. Worked with Marketing team on strategy for articles, video, and photography content. (Position created in June 2017; position eliminated in September 2017.)
Society of Grownups, Boston, MA
Head of Digital Content
March 2015-June 2017
Planned and executed digital content initiatives for Society of Grownups, including the brand’s blog, email newsletter, website content, online classes/digital videos, and partnership content. Assisted with curriculum content and planning. Collaborated with PR team on social media content planning. Coached CEO and leadership team for conference speaking engagements. Launched the company’s first mentorship program.
• Oversaw all blog planning, including content calendar, and managed team of one freelance editor and 40+ freelance and in-house writers. Managed integration with Skyword, a content marketing platform.
• Planned and built monthly newsletter mailing.
• Served as one half of a two-person copy desk, handling all writing and editing requests across the business.
• Created and maintained the brand’s official editorial Style Guide.
Boston Travel Expert (freelance/contractor)
July 2013-July 2015
Wrote 4-8 articles per month on topics of interest to both Boston locals and visitors, covering events, food/dining, nightlife/entertainment, transportation, real estate, local government, and education. Sent weekly email newsletter to subscribers. Promoted About.com content on social media.
• Maintained editorial content calendar, site display, content/coverage requirements, freelance writer team, and promotion recommendations, all as an independent contractor.
Clarks Companies North America, Newton, MA
Web Content Editor
July 2011-March 2015
Served as primary editor for all web-related content on ClarksUSA.com and brand-related social media outlets. Acted as head moderator for Clarks’ Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn profiles, including daily Facebook updates and customer interactions. Created monthly Facebook content calendar, working closely with eCommerce, customer service, retail, and product team members. Wrote copy for site landing pages, with a strong focus on SEO best practices. Copyedited and proofread email campaigns. Served as primary moderator for all incoming customer-generated ratings and reviews for Clarks online product pages. Worked closely with eCommerce director and marketing manager to determine KPIs and best metrics for web analytics.
• Coordinated official company-wide social media policy, working with legal, HR, customer service, retail marketing, and senior management team representatives for goals, final content, dissemination, and implementation.
• Assisted with testing, implementation, and launch of user-generated review software (BazaarVoice).
• Launched pilot test program for eCommerce videos across several products on Clarksusa.com, generating upwards of $50K in revenue each month (off initial $15K one-time investment).
• Grew Facebook audience to 80K Likes/fans in first 18 months, with very limited budget.
SmarterTravel.com, Boston, MA
March 2004-July 2011
Built and sent daily email newsletter reaching more than 1.6 million subscribers. Wrote three to five feature articles (800-2,000 words) per month on a variety of consumer- and leisure-related travel topics, as well as occasional blogging duties. Copyedited, proofread, and fact-checked stories for other on-staff editors. Conducted extensive research for consumer travel stories, including interviews, in-the-field excursions, and online research. Maintained SmarterTravel’s presence/partner site on Facebook.
• Hired as Assistant Editor in 2004, promoted to Associate Editor in 2006, promoted to Senior Editor in 2009.
• Launched SmarterTravel’s annual Editors’ Choice Awards in 2010, serving as project manager from initial concept brainstorming to publication. Worked with editorial, design, and PR departments to coordinate all aspects of launch, including writing and editing deadlines, traffic/visits plan, and media strategy. In first week of publication, the Awards generated 200,000 page views on SmarterTravel.com and more than 300 Tweets. Coordinated second annual awards in 2011.
• Established a monthly column, “Sarah’s Travel Tips,” for SmarterTravel.com, which ran from May 2009 to May 2011. The column was also syndicated by USA Today and ABCNews.com.
• Won two writing awards from the North American Travel Journalists Association’s annual competition: Gold Prize, Budget Travel Article – Internet, 2010, for “The 10 Worst Travel Rip-Offs … and How to Avoid Them,” and First Place, Tips and Advice, 2008, for “Top 10 Safety Tips for Solo Travelers.”
Quinlan Publishing Group, Boston, MA
June 2000-March 2004
Editor-in-chief of six monthly periodicals on education grants and funding. Researched, wrote, and edited two monthly newsletters and two biweekly bulletins. Contracted with freelance authors/contributors, serving as principal editor for submitted articles. Proofread, edited, and fact-checked several of Quinlan’s 35+ monthly periodicals and books, working closely in conjunction with six other in-house editors. Updated and maintained grants and funding website (including email updates for subscribers) on a weekly basis.
Emerson College, Boston, MA
MA in Publishing and Writing – Writing, Literature, and Publishing department
Graduated December 2002
American University, Washington, D.C.
BA in Literature – College of Arts and Sciences
Graduated May 2000
Recommendations and references available on LinkedIn